Saturday, August 29, 2009

Oh lovely libraries

Lol, it seems quite sad that I'd rather go on a library crawl than a pub crawl. But then again, it's much better for your health...

Went to the city centre library today and was ridiculously happy, it's so much bigger than the ones I'm used to! Nothing compared to Wellington Library, but you can't have everything, lol. There were shelves upon shelves of music scores, I limited myself to getting three of those out - one that I'm very happy about is 'The Phantom of the Opera', I've been playing a bit of that today. I didn't realise how lovely 'Think of Me' is, it's my favourite piece to play from them (probably because it's easiest - I could play it fairly smoothly the first and second time, the others are a bit more difficult). The other 2 score books were Debussy and Bach. Next time I go to that library, whenever that is, I think I'd like to try some Prokofiev as I haven't done much modern classically stuff, and I'd also like to try some of the well known ones that I haven't played before (that I remember) - e.g. Brahms, Handel, Chopin. I'd also like to do some more Beethoven and Schubert, I like them...
I find it hard to pick the actual books to borrow as they have several books for each composer. I don't really know enough about music theory to pick them from names, so I just flick through and take the one that looks easier, or if they're similar I do 'Eeny Meeny Miney Mo'. Very technical process, lol. I can always go back and borrow others...

Also at the library I found another 2 books from my recommended reading list from uni, so I've got those out as well, though I have yet to read the ones I've already got out.
Along with that, I got out 4 fiction books (2 chick lit, 2 sci fi), 1 arty-ish book ('The Faeryland Companion'), a book on card-making, and 2 books I thought would be rather interesting reads - 'Jane Austen's Guide to Romance' by Lauren Henderson and 'Learn to Interpret Handwriting' by Patrick Marne. I'm not sure I'll get through all of this stuff anytime soon, lol. I've already got a few books I need to read - 2 art books (reading list), 2 fiction (that I own - less important) and I'm supposed to be studying for my Life in the UK test...
I have already finished one of the books I got out today though - 'The Chrysalids' by John Wyndham. I have a vague feeling that I might have read it before, I think I may have borrowed it from Carol. I definitely remember her talking about it but I didn't think I had read it. Either way, it was still a good read. Has a very twisted sense of religion. Oh, I think I remember why I may have read it - we were going somewhere on a train and I hadn't brought a book, and she had it in her bag. That seems vaguely familiar... Not sure where we were going. Anyway...

I've decided that I want to write a list of things that I would like to accomplish at some point in my life. I like list-making, it helps to not let you forget things, and also to get you to actually do things... I might post the list of here actually, once I get around to writing it.

In other news, I have now accepted my accommodation offer. I wish I'd thought about all of the student bank account stuff earlier, as it would have been really useful. I think I want to open a student bank account but I've already given all my current account details as the one for accommodation and student finance. And I'm not sure how to change those details, so it'll be rather difficult. Ah well, I'm sure I'll sort it out somehow. I'd better get some sleep now, or do some revision. *shrug*

Oh yes, and I've ordered some DVDs off amazon, so I'll be wasting some time watching those too once they arrive... And I'll be expecting my new pairs of glasses in a week or so. Will be useful as I keep worrying that I'll lose my one pair and not be able to see properly for a while.
Ah, everything happens at once.
Well, that's life.

2 comments:

Jingle Bella said...

Oooo libraries ...

Which DVDs have you ordered?

Hazelnut said...

Well, they've all arrived now. I got Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2 disc), Another Cinderella Story (nice and teenibopper), Lost in Austen, and Penelope. :)