Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Contact Lense Teach

Well, it seemed fairly straightforward when the optometrist told me about the contact teach last time I was in. The way she said it, it sounded like it's be a one off thing and everything would be fine, but it seems that it tends to be more of a series of appointments...

Putting the contact lenses in was no problem, I did those first time. Getting them out is rather more difficult. It didn't help that I hadn't thought to cut my nails, so had to do it there (2 of them anyway) - and I did it with a pair of scissors, so I don't know whether it was better than if I'd left them, or not, as they were a little jagged.
I was told 2 methods of getting them out of my eye (pinching them straight off, or sliding across and pinching out of the corner of your eye), and had to try quite a few times to get the left one out, then really couldn't get the right one out - the lovely lady doing my teach went to get the optometrist to check my eyes (he was supposed to do this while they were in, but had been with another customer). He told me another method, and that one worked on the second go. So I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to put them in and take them out with not much problem soon, but he said we couldn't continue then as my eyes were going a red, and he said if I'd scratched my eye (which I know I did at one point - with my jagged thumbnail...), I'll be more likely to get conjuctivitis. So that's great. He said if my eye is all icky tomorrow (nice, technical term for you there - my description, not his), I just need to get some drops from the pharmacy and it should all be fine. I've booked another teach for Monday afternoon, so if I'm lucky that will go smoothly and I won't have to have another one, though they might make me do that anyway (before I can take them home to trial).

So all is fairly well, but I'm feeling a bit impatient, as I thought it'd all be straightforward and I'd be taught and get to take them home to trial over the next week...

Ah well, it's not that long...
I'll be better prepared next time anyway, I'll know how to put them in, take them out and I'll have cut my nails and filed them... So it should just be down to practice...

Just thought I'd share that with you.

1 comment:

Jingle Bella said...

Innnnnnteresting ... let me know how having contacts goes :). I might be interested in the future ... though I think mine will be super-expensive (£30-£60 a month? I don't remember) because I have bad astigmatism.