Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Jane Austen

Quick reference to something non-Austen-y, saw a brilliant music video on TV and then found out how to play the piece (roughly) on the piano: 'Love Song' by Sara Bareilles; watch the video, you'll love it [no pun intended].

Yes, anyway, watched all of 'Persuasion' now - borrowed it from the college library; also borrowed 'Northanger Abbey' and skimmed that one. I now need to remember to read 'Persuasion' too.
Last week I borrowed and watched the 1999 and the 2007 versions of 'Mansfield Park', also read the book. I found it quite interesting how they differed. I think that overall I definitely preferred the 1999 version with Frances O'Connor than the 2007 with Billie Piper.
So here is a list of things that I liked/didn't like/were different about the two films:
  • I loved how the 1999 version showed more of a relationship between Edmund and Fanny, it showed how they spent time together in her room discussing her writing and various other things; I thought that it really showed that their relationship had depth while the 2007 version showed less of that.
  • I liked how in the 1999 version Edmund sort of grew into the realisation that he loved Fanny, rather than in the 2007 version when it seems to me that he realises in one moment (he studies her when they're in the living room[?] and the women are doing something crafty (like knitting or embroidery or something [rather than sly], don't quite remember what).
  • I found it odd that in the 1999 version Fanny actually agreed to be engaged to Mr Crawford at one point and Edmund also got engaged to Miss Crawford while in the 2007 version neither got engaged though they did show partiality at some points.
  • I found it interesting that in the 1999 version it was shown more that Mr Crawford really did fall for Fanny and Miss Crawford did have a little more of a relationship with Edmund while in the 2007 version the Crawford's were shown more as con artists or something of the like, planning to toy with Fanny and Edmund and in Miss Crawford's case, to try and get his money. From the book I'm not sure which I would say was more true, I think it's a bit of both.
  • In the 1999 version Fanny was close to her sister Suzie while in the 2007 she was close to her brother Will. In the book Fanny was best friends with Will and later on got to know Suzie a little more. I think that I partly prefer the 2007 because it's truer to the book but I did love the dynamics between the sisters, it reminded me a bit of Jane and Lizzie in Pride and Prejudice (Or indeed Jane Austen and her sister Cassandra).
  • I didn't particularly like either girl who played Maria (which I always forget is pronounces 'Mar-eye-ah' rather than 'Mar-ee-ah'), though both we're terrible, Michelle Ryan was quite good in the 2007 one but I'm afraid I will never be able to think of her as anything but Bionic Woman (which I adore, but it wasn't on this Tuesday and I don't know why :( ).
  • I thought that the 2007 version showed Julia was younger better, in the 1999 version she looked possibly older than Maria.
  • I love the breakfast/'lavender' scene in the 2007 version when Edmund has just realised he's in love with Fanny, it's great.

Anyway, those are the points I'll make for now... I found the book 'Mansfield Park' was quite difficult to get into but I was determined to read it all the way through, I think that I may have missed the finer details because I wasn't so into it so I wouldn't remember everything from it.
Becky has informed me that I must read/watch 'Jane Eyre'; I was planning to at some point but haven't got around to it yet, I actually do have the book but I found it another one which was difficult to get into. Also 'Emma' was quite difficult to read at first, I'm not sure whether or not I will try to read that one, it was not one of my favourite storylines anyway. I do think I should read 'Sense and Sensibility', I think I might have already read it once but I don't remember it that well so should like to read it again anyhow. Also would quite like to read 'Sanditon and other stories' which I have meant to read for so long. Becky said that 'Wuthering Heights' is a difficult book to read too but I should like to read it at some point...

I really should go now, it's past midnight and I need some sleep, will be waking up extra early 'tomorrow' to bake cookies for Maria whose birthday it is (it's also Rai's but I won't see her because she won't be in double Psychology).

Oh yes, also I'll be meeting my new piano teacher next Monday which should be interesting. Yes, must go. Have a nice day :)

No comments: